JOIN THE NEXT GENERATION OF JEWISH LEADERS: THE HAMAMAH advanced leadership institute
The Hamamah Experience is a two-week intensive featuring hands-on, mentor-based training for the next generation of Jewish leaders.
Dates: July 29-August 13, 2019
For: Current 10th and 11th Graders
Mix of General & Specialized Leadership
Campers will participate in workshops focused on general leadership skills as well as special interest leadership clinics. These mentor-based intensives will prepare campers for real-world scenarios and provide future in-camp leadership opportunities. Skill building in public speaking, programming hands-on activities, and group discussion is complemented by fun-filled experiences in team building, sports, environmental work, and performing arts. Other options include programming skills and American Red Cross Lifeguard Accreditation.
Teens will guide other campers in a variety of camp activities and take the lead on Maccabia, a full day of fun and friendly high-energy competitions that channel campers’ creativity, ability to work in teams, athleticism, and team-spirit. They will also gain hands-on practical experience through an individualized camp internship, where they’ll apprentice a member of the TY staff.
Investing in Future Opportunities
Upon finishing the two-week intensive, campers will receive a Hamamah Certificate of Completion, with the opportunity to be eligible for a $250 bonus if hired for a programmatic position at a Young Judaea camp in a subsequent summer.*
In addition to the various leadership offerings of this intensive, Tel Yehudah provides a one-of-a-kind Jewish environment, where teens interact with others from Jewish communities in the U.S., Israel and around the world. The “best of camp” at TY includes the opportunity to partake in sports, arts and Israel education programs. Each week culminates in Shabbat, amidst the natural, serene setting of Tel Yehudah and is followed by a wild Israeli dance party.
*The Hamamah Certificate of Completion will reward a graduate with a $250 bonus for a full summer (or $100 one-session employ) if hired for a programmatic position at a Young Judaea camp in a subsequent summer. This bonus award will be paid by Tel Yehudah. Tel Yehudah cannot guarantee employment by Young Judaea camps.
Teens participating in the two-week Hamamah Advanced Leadership Institute will:
- Examine the basic ideas and questions that underlie effective leadership.
- Participate in workshops focused on both general and camp-specific leadership.
- Lead a variety of activities for other campers, including Maccabia, a full day of fun, friendly and high-energy competitions.
- Gain hands-on practical experience through an individualized camp internship.
- Receive a Hamamah Certificate of Completion for the Leadership Seminar with the opportunity to be eligible for a $250 bonus.*
- Participate in the variety of TY activities such as tzofiyut, shira, rikud, sports, omanut, and teva.
SAMPLE HAMAMAH SEDER YOM (DAILY SCHEDULE)
Participants in Hamamah spend 4-5 hours a day engaged in developing their leadership skills through a variety of workshops and practical experience. In addition, participants will have the opportunity to choose another Intensive as a minor and explore all of TY’s other specialty areas (ropes course, Israeli dancing, and singing, sports, etc.) Below is a sample daily schedule:
|7:15-8:00am||Optional Morning Activities||Go for a run, practice some yoga or exercise; all are wonderful ways to start your morning!|
|Boker Tov (Wake-Up)|
|8:30-9:00am||Aruchat Boker (Breakfast)||Sit with your bunk to start the morning together over a hot, fresh and delicious breakfast.|
|9:10-9:40am||Kavanot (Intention)||You will partake in meaningful Jewish activities through prayer, values, teachings and more to start the day.|
|9:45-10:05am||Nikayon B'Tsrif||Check your bunk's work-wheel and see what your cleaning assignment is for today and get to work to keep that bunk spiffy!|
|10:15-1:15pm||Intensives||You will spend intensive time in your Intensive.|
|1:20-2:00pm||Aruchat Tsohorayim (Lunch)||Come for the delicious, healthy and kosher meal; stay for the Shira (singing) or Rikud (dancing) session in the Chadar Ochel (dining hall)!|
|2:10-3:45pm||Peulat Kehila||The time in camp when our different communities come together to learn with and from one another.|
|3:50-4:45pm||Z'man Bechira||You will spend more intensive time in your Intensive.|
|4:45-6:15pm||Chofesh (Open Choice Activities)||You can choose activities and spend time with friends under general staff supervision. Specialty areas, including the pool, are open during this time to offer special options, so you can enjoy more of the activities you love!|
|6:20-7:20pm||Specialty Areas||Your chug can either visit Tsofiut (Israeli scouts), Sports, Omanut (Arts and Crafts), Drama, Rikud (Dance), Ropes Course and more!|
|7:30-8:20pm||Aruchat Erev (Dinner)||Sit with your friends and enjoy a themed camp-wide dinner|
|8:30-10:00pm||Peulat Erev (Night Activity)||What's your “fun” group, evening activity tonight? Your group is having a Mediterranean themed pool and dance party under the stars!|
|10:15-11:00pm||Peulat Laila Tov (In-Bunk nightly activity)||End the evening with this nightly activity to bond with your bunkmates and wind down before heading to bed|
|11:00pm||Laila Tov (Lights Out)||You've had a long, fun day and you need your sleep to get ready to do it again tomorrow!|
- Room and board for 14 days within our furnished cabins
- 3 healthy, nutritious and kosher meals a day, plus stipend for snacks and treats from our camp canteen
- 24/7 professional medical staff that can dispense first-aid and prescription medicines
- 160+ dynamic and trained camp professionals
- Regular laundry-service
- Full time on-site 24/7 security services
- Coach Motorbus transportation to/from Newark International Liberty Airport on opening and closing day for teens who will be traveling to camp by plane
IS HAMAMAH FOR ME?
Yes! If you are…
- Currently in 10th or 11th grade;
- Interested in leadership;
- Looking for a fun and impressive resume-building summer experience;
- Open to taking on real leadership responsibilities in a Young Judaea or other summer camp;
- Love camp or looking to try it out for the first time and
- Want to meet and live with Jewish teens from around the world!